Today’s Learning Topic: Giraffes!
- These adorable little (gigantic?) creatures are the tallest living land creatures on Earth! They grow to about 19 feet tall.
- Giraffes have short horns on their head called ossicones. Both the males and females have horns. Ossicones are made of ossified cartilage (cartilage that has became bone).Female giraffes have little poofs of hair at the top of their ossicones but the males generally don’t have the hair because it is worn away during combat with other males
- There are white giraffes but these giraffes are not albino.
- Giraffes are herbivores and eat young leaves from the tops of trees.
- Giraffes live on the African continent.
- Adults weigh 2000-3000 lbs!
- Giraffes hearts have adapted to be able to pump blood up the long neck to the giraffes brain.
- The gestation period for a giraffe is 15 months! (and we thought 9 months of carrying a child was a long time!)
- Baby giraffes are about 6 feet tall at birth!
- In Africa, the giraffe has been revered as a religious symbol, kept as a pet and traded as a diplomatic offering of goodwill.
Biddy’s Beads Giraffe Necklace $28
Love Giraffes? Check out these handmade giraffe items on Artfire! Just click the image to go to the collection.